Health Advisory

Nothing within this blog should be considered as medical advice and you should always consult your preferred medical professional.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I fudged it up


I found a really yummy looking raw fudge recipe on facebook that got me excited, the picture made me salivate with anticipation! The thought of a tasty chocolate recipe that was sort of guilt free had me sweating like a jogger with anticipation. Even more exciting  - I had all of the ingredients on hand. I almost lost the plot. So I immediately got my dates out and started soaking them.



This is the recipe here. Posted by  http://www.facebook.com/IncredibleSmoothies

Ingredients:


 26 medjool dates, pitted and soaked for 20 minutes

 1 cup raw cacao powder

 1/2 cup coconut oil



Directions:


First, make sure you have some soft coconut oil (coconut butter). It doesn’t have to be liquid, but it shouldn’t be white and hard either. Leave it out at a warm room temperature so that it is soft enough to work with.


Then soak 26 medjool dates in water for about 20 minutes. This helps to soften them up so that they are easily blended. Be sure to pit them first.


In a blender or food processor, mix the coconut oil and dates until almost mixed. Next, add the cacao power and blend until completely mixed. The mixture will become thick and form a ball in the blender or food processor.


Press the ball of fudge into the bottom of a small pan and let is sit in the refrigerator for about on hour. The coconut oil will help further solidify the fudge. I topped mine (before putting in fridge, press down lightly) with buckwheat groats and cacao nibs!!

Then cut it into pieces and enjoy 





The recipe comes with this little picture. Looks yummy right?



The problem with some recipes is that they don’t always turn out as expected, I suspect a combination of happy go lucky measuring and ingredient differences resulted in a mixture that resembled cow pats, cow pats that wouldn’t set. After 24 hrs in the fridge I decided to give the freezer a go, surely if I got it cold enough it would harden up? Right? Right????


 No.

 One week in the deep freeze and the mixture was still too soft to use for anything. I almost despaired. Then I had a brainwave! 2 blocks of dark Ghana chocolate, a big old mess and a lot of fun later I had some delectable, dairy free, nutritious one hit wonder truffles. 




Nom!


So let this be a lesson to you, ALWAYS follow the recipe gram for gram and be prepared to innovate….

























1 comment:

  1. Love it! The only time I ever tried to make fudge, it got turned into delicious truffles too :-)

    ReplyDelete