Health Advisory

Nothing within this blog should be considered as medical advice and you should always consult your preferred medical professional.

Search This Blog

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Stained Glass Window Biscuits

A few days ago I smashed my food processor on the ground, I'd like to say it was a fit of pique, but it was simple clumsiness and poor luck. As a result my cooking repertoire has decreased significantly. Every Christmas I make my 9 cup gingerbread biscuits. Turns out they don't go well without a food processor.

This is what we got up to this year. But I'm not posting a recipe because they taste abominable.
[edit 10 December 2012]

Okay I have changed my mind. You deserve a recipe and here it is:

Sian’s 9 Cup Gingerbread Recipe.


Lasts 2-3 weeks in the fridge and can be baked up at any time.

In a food processor bowl add:

9 cups of standard flour

½ cup ground ginger

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 grated nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1.5 cups soft brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

Slowly pulse this mix whilst adding:

1 block of butter chopped into squares or 2 cups of solid coconut oil


Once the mixture is well combined and ‘shreddy’ like breadcrumbs slowly incorporate the following whilst pulsing the processor

2 cups molasses or golden syrup

The mixture should come together in a ball, if it does this before the molasses is entirely incorporated then you can stop earlier.

These biscuits should bake in 7-12 minutes depending on oven heat, recommended baking temp is 160 degrees Celsius. I use baking paper on my trays and on my bottom try I double paper it to prevent brown bottoms.

What you don't do.

Melt the butter and syrup together and mix it into the dry ingredients hoping that this lazy method will somehow replicate the original recipe., then when you realise you have run out of syrup and the mixture is still dry add water in the vain hope to rescue your mixture. Then crumble with defeat when you taste the final baked item and it is horrible…





























3 comments: